Sunday, April 6, 2014

Proselytizing and Wicca

What is *proselytizing*?  It means to convert or attempt to convert someone to join a religion, group or cause.  Most generally we associate this term with Christian evangelizing door to door in an attempt to save and redeem sinners and bring them into God's fold.  It can also be a door knocking campaign to solicit a vote for a candidate or a proposition.  Whatever, the reason for the proselytizing, I know these acts can be found annoying when we don't desire the interaction.  It makes a person feel put upon and forced or coerced.  People who make this a practice will respond with if I saw a friend stepping out in front of a car would I just let the car strike them? NO! I would intervene.  But choice of religion or politics and stepping in front of a car are two very different things.

Proselytizing is incorporated into some religions that have a belief they should share *the word*.  And so they do, going door to door, passing out pamphlets and forcing dialogue to get people talking.  I used to get peeved and cranky, irritated and such -- but that is a waste of time.  What I have vowed to do in my older years is be polite and let the well wishers know I am okay just the way I am.  I don't engage them in talks about my faith because quite honestly I have no reason to believe they would even listen. Perhaps that is something I should contemplate going forward, but for now, I am quite happy to be polite, take the pamphlet if they're offering one and wish them a good day and close my door.  I don't think that is an act of cowardice on my part.  I figure it helps out both sides, they get to do the work their religion requires of them, I get peace since my house will be scratched off the list for a while and I get a pamphlet to contemplate if I settle down long enough to read it.  You never know when some wise nugget of truth comes wandering your way in disguise.

What is the Wiccan position on proselytizing? Generally it is a *no-no*.  We believe that a seeker should seek. Why? Because a seeker is an open mind hunting for the message, willing to learn, ready to hear.  If you go and accost strangers because they are on your designated route of the day, or are hapless souls trying to enter the store for milk, bread and eggs, they won't be very receptive to any message that is wildly thrown at them.

In Wicca, we honor that every one has their own spiritual journey that is unique to the individual.  Only that individual can chart the course of their journey.  As they tour along, they will determine their destinations and the ports where they take shelter.  It is not our place to run out and *save* them.  There is a saying I see floating around the internet a lot - "Just because I have wandered off the beaten path does not mean I am lost."  How very true.  Therefore, unless someone is asking for direction, they should be left to their journey.  The time to speak of religion with another is when questions are asked.

Bright Blessings and Blessed Be!
Rayven Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words to Live By - Do You Know What Yours Are?

When a person follows a pre-constructed religious path, all the tenants of faith are laid out for them and they have but to apply them to th...